Saturday, April 6, 2019

Bits and pieces

I am SOOOO frustrated to not be doing my staircase or anything miniature for that matter but I have to organise the house since retrieving so much stuff. I have sent more than 30 large boxes to our local charity and set aside a few more for a friend but that still leaves a lot to deal with. 
I was sad to find this large hand painted box in this condition. The story behind it is as follows. In 2003 we had what you can call a killer heatwave in europe and Paris was severely hit with  40° ( 104° F ) recorded even at night when usually the températures lower. Over 70,000 people died in europe and 15,000 in France alone. It was really terrible as there was no respite, impossible to sleep and ambulance sirens going all over the city all the time. I had an elderly neighbour called Monsieur D who loved to walk a lot despite being in his 80's! One day I realised that I hadn't seen him and found his walking stick propped up in the hall so against his family's wishes I called the firebrigade and they found him lying dead, his pacemaker had failed. When his daughter came to clear out his apartment she asked me to come look at what she had found and M. D was a hoarder but of fairly good things, not rubbish! He had brought home broken things and magasines and books and filled his home with them. One room was so full that it reached the ceiling and masked some amazing antique furniture long since buried. I evaluated the better things for his daughter and gave her documents to help her sell them and in return she gave me this dish/box along with a pair of mahogany shelves to thank me. The lid had a small crack but otherwise it was ok, now sadly it's gone.  
 As you can see the lid apart from the little crack is still ok.
 This I wanted to share as a pratical thing. In the supermarket I realised that the card spacer between the layers of milk bottles was made of the same material as egg cartons, so I helped myself. Maybe you can also find this in your supermarkets as it makes such great bricks and stones.
 It does have slight nobbles but on the whole it beats cutting up egg boxes!
 I wanted to share yet another collection, it never ends! I used to buy shoe buckles in the flea market for a few cents when no one was into that. It's something else I call my paupers collection but today is no longer possible. One day I decided to put them under glass and on display. Some are 18th century and in silver with good cut stones and others are from the victorian era. The buttons as 18th century and came from a friend whose grandmother had a chateau and she told him to take what he wanted so he sold all the jewellery he found and these buttons along with some other bits were to be thrown away! Yes ! Luckilly I was at his home that night. 

 Some are gorgeous and some are just bling.
 These two were to be part of the next display, they are in cut steel. This technique was invented in Victorian times to imitated paste and stones as when polished it glitters like Diamonds.  These are quite good as they are not rusted as many are although they can be cleaned up. A lot of jewellery was also made using this technique and worn in candle light it is very convincing. 
 This is a dress buckle from the 1920's. Enamel and paste stones.
 Another Victorian cut steel buckle but with a leather insert, probably to match the shoe.

12 comments:

  1. I know well the utter frustration of needing to be creative and being mired instead into a huge project. I hope you can find some stolen moments to work on the staircase or any other small thing that will ease your frustration and feed the creative monster!
    So sad to hear how your neighbor passed. It seems I hear of so many who lived through the depression and post war years becoming hoarders. The value of things takes on a whole new life when you do with so little for so long. I had a great aunt who's home sounds very similar, only hers was an entire apartment building that was filled to the ceiling with barely a path for her to walk through. No one in the family knew because she never let anyone visit her.
    I bet it feels good to know what you have and to pass on the things that no longer serve you. I wish you godspeed in getting the rest sorted so you can get back to building your incredible dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good words Jodi ! yes there is a fine line between hoarding and collecting and I am aware of it all the time. My need to 'collect' comes from instability of childhood as we moved a lot and never owned much, just the basics. At one point in our lives as a family we lived in a wooden hut/shed with no bathroom, water or electrics ! There was a pump in the garden and a dry toilet in a shed that we had to empty into a hole! My grandmother lived in her mothers house all her life and I used to see it as 'stable' and have been much influenced by it. I love giving things away to people who need or want Something so that counts for a lot. I am going to make an etsy store for all my fabrics and laces and buttons as there is no way I can keep them all! I still have two large units to empty in september, imagine that! Mostly furniture I think but not sure. It's been fun but frustrating. Today I am reorganising my bookcases by them to incorporate the 6/700 or so new books ,,, but books make the best decor Don't you think? Tired Huggggsss

      Delete
  2. Your telling of the story of your elderly neighbour was very touching and so no wonder you are dismayed about the destruction of the porcelain memento. However, it is the stories about people which make the things we cherish all more special so even though the box is not what it used to be, his story continues.
    And I love your Beautiful buckle display and the cardboard liners for the milk. You obviously have a knack for being a step ahead of the curve, Stephanie! :)

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miss E , I tend not to cry over broken things. This box has already been saved twice so it had a good life. I think that things have a sort of soul. Years ago I went to the flea market with a friend and we split up to each look at what we liked. My friend said that she wanted to find me Something as a gift but I have odd taste dissimilar to hers to I thought 'good luck'. As I went through the market I picked up a small carved wooden figure or a bird and thought ' how lovely' but didn't buy it. A couple of hours later her husband joined us and we went for lunch and out of her purse she took the BIRD ! When she saw it on a cluttered table she thought immediately of me. I still have that bird it reminds me of how strange life can be. huggss

      Delete
  3. Thank you Steve, I hesitate to put certain things up on the blog as it was set out as a miniature one but we cannot deny who we are ! Anyone who knows me says that I am a storyteller anyway! Who know what's next ,,,,, ???? huggs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this nice information for me. I hope you will share some more information bits and piece please keep sharing! حوائط جدرايه


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you for your comment. I have been away so not blogging but I have just posted and article you might find interesting.Stephanie

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this entire experience of yours. The 2003 heatwave was no doubt a killer one, so many people lost their loved ones in that period!

    Perch & Parrow Discount Codes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes it was really terrible as we didn't see it ending. Heat is one thing but this was Something else ! I have just posted a new article, best wishes Stephanie

      Delete
  6. Dear mrs. M. The shoe buckles are lovely. It is a shame about the porcelain box but unfortunately fragile things just don't last forever. But a lovely story none the less.

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Don't cry over things like this, life is too short. I do get annoyed when people are disrespectful about things but I Don't hold grudges. My house is full of chipped things which I still find pretty and of course buying a broken vase is way cheaper that one that isn't. I DO mean to practice Kintsugi on some of them ( that sounds like some form of martial arts ! ) huggs

      Delete
  7. Ah the noble art of Kintsugi. Yes I know what it is. It would be great to master that. They should give workshops about repairing with lacquer and golddust. Would gold feltpens work for miniature version of a vase repaired through Kintsugi?

    Huibrecht

    ReplyDelete